Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Fact or Fiction?



I've been reading my Newsfeeder Blogs this past week and came across a very interesting experiment I have never heard before. It was called the Rosenhan Experiment done by David Rosenhan. Could Psychiatrists in America distinguish between madness and sanity? In this video you will see what the outcome of the experiment was.

Many, many people who have mental disorders do not realize they have one. And it bothers me very much that psychiatrists, in the past, have not been able to detect what they are or where they came from. I love psychology and have a lot of respect for the Psychiatrists all over the world. It really must be hard to detect whether someone is telling the truth, faking or pretending to be better or worse.

This guy on YouTube is using his home videos to try and figure out why he was in a mental hospital, he really truly doesn't understand. But looking and watching many videos of his you can tell something isn't right. He seems to have a very high IQ yet there is something missing or genetically wired differently. Video #1 and Video #2.
Mental illness can be a very scary thing when exposed to it. Most people are not familiar interacting with someone who has a mental illness. Most illnesses can be treated if diagnosed correctly. I don't know what scares me more people being misdiagnosed or people faking disorders and having Professionals not being able to tell.

3 comments:

BooBoo said...

Good Post! It is interesting because Under Sea-ge also did her post this week on mental illness, specifically on bipolar disorder. I find the subject of mental illnesses to be very interesting since both my grandfather and my mother have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. It is scary though because it took a long time for the doctors in both their cases to finally come up with the diagnosis. It was very scetchy because first it was one thing then another, then once they decided it was bipolar it seemed they were not that convinced. Either way they both are on medication and after the "getting it right period" the drugs seem to be doing their job. I do believe a whole lot more than what people currently believe is genetically inherited.

C-Cru said...

I did my post on something similar to yours. I was unaware however, of the atrocities that occur with misdiagnosis. I actually did watch the videos. That is unreal. I agree that something is not quite right. The guy reminds me of the crazy dude at the beginning of the movie that shot Bruce Willis in The Sixth Sense. I wonder if maybe it could be the fact of being in the hospital. Maybe he wasn't crazy before but the hospitals made him that way. Maybe in his case it was chemical and not genetic. The mind is a brilliant thing. I don't believe we will truly EVER fully understand all it is capable of before we wipe ourselves out.Great post.

Psychic Psych Chick said...

Yes, there is a very unstable method to diagnosing/not diagnosing mental illness, especially since the DSM-IV relies on categorical diagnosis (Yes/No, either the patient has bipolar disorder or they do not, with no in-betweens). I thought your post was great because it highlights the problems currently being experienced w/ diagnosis... On a more lighter note, I wanted to also point out that when you referred to whether a person was "faking" a disorder or not, that in and of itself is a disorder, known as factitious disorder.